Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


  1. Hellooooo Friday!  I'm so glad to see you.  What took you so long?
  2. Monday didn't start off so well.  My youngest son played baseball all weekend, so naturally my oldest son was with us.  We all completely forgot that he had a Social Studies project due Monday morning, or maybe we were in denial.  We ALL knew a week ago when this project was due.  We made numerous comments over the past week, you know - if you don't do this, you can't go here.  Yadayadayada.  Did we follow through?  NO!  Did said project get done? NO!  There was much yelling, crying and gnashing of teeth, and that's when I decided to go to bed.  Hubby put the boy in charge of doing the research on the computer while he went to the other computer to print pictures for the project.  That was a mistake.  As soon as hubby left the room, our oldest promptly crawled onto the couch and went to sleep.  Basically the pictures that hubby printed were the only part of the project that was completed.  Duh, DAH! DAH! Mom, to the rescue Monday morning.  I kept the boy out of school that morning and we worked feverishly on the project.  We finished it in a few hours, and I checked him in at school just in time for his lunch.  I can't totally blame our son.  Maybe we should lead by example instead of teaching him to be a procrastinator, and maybe we should follow through with consequences consistently when we tell him he has to do something or else....  This parenting thing is HARD.  Don't judge me.  There are only two weeks of school left.  Lord, please help us get through it.
  3. This weekend will be our first weekend without baseball in a while.  Whatever will I do?  Well, apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because we've scheduled a garage sale.  I hate having garage sales, but I sure would like to be able to park in my garage again.  Plus with all the traveling we've been doing for baseball, the extra money would come in handy.  Eh hem..... sponsorships are certainly welcome. 
  4. I baked a batch of cookies a few weeks ago and shared some with a friend and her family.  She liked them, and said she thought I could sell them.  So, I baked a double batch Wednesday night, packaged them up and sold them at work Thursday for $1 per cookie.  I'm delighted to say all cookies were sold in less than 2 hours.  I made $34 for the baseball travel fund which now has a grand total of (drum roll please)........ $34.  sigh!
  5. I've recently been researching ways to live more frugally without having to sacrifice anything, you know like air condition, cable, cell phones.  After all let's be realistic here - those are necessities!  I live in the south, and air conditioning is definitely a MUST!  Anyway, I made a batch of homemade liquid laundry detergent inspired by the Duggar family recipe.   This detergent cleans as well as any store bought detergent I've used.  I love Gain laundry detergent, but I die a little inside each time I pay $15.47 for a gallon at my local Wally World.  I try to use coupons and stock up when it was on sale, but still.  I calculated the cost of this homemade liquid soap recipe, and it works out to be $2.10 per gallon, and it makes 10 gallons.  TEN GALLONS.  That's a savings of $133.70 right there folks!  I don't really know how quickly I'll go through ten gallons as I've never really paid attention before.  But, let me tell you I do a TON of laundry each and every stinkin' week!  I don't know how a family of 4 can create so much dirty laundry.  To quote one of my favorite bloggers, Delilah at Confessions of a Semi-Domesticated Mama, I'm losing my mind one load of laundry at a time.
  6. I'm not what you would call crunchy or anything yet, and I don't really ever see myself going that far either, but...... I also made my own homemade butter the other night.  Folks it was so darned easy, I can't believe I haven't tried it before.  I just poured some heavy whipping cream into a container, handed it to one of my boys who had energy to burn, and said "shake it."  (There are actually a few other steps besides just shaking, but it truly was easy.)  It is so yummy, and something I will definitely be doing again.  Now if I could just get my father in law to milk his goats, I could make some queso fresco.  But he says they aren't "milking goats."  I didn't realize there was such a thing.  Oh well....  I'd upload some pictures of the butter-making process, but I can't figure out why they're not loading.  If the truth be known, I'm so computer illiterate, it's laughable.  I can't believe I decided to start a blog without anyone here to hold me hand. 
  7. Did I say TGIF??  Have a great weekend everyone!