Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday



  1. I'm writing on very little sleep, so this may post may not make any sense whatsoever.  Sorry.  Between my almost 9 year old baby who gets in bed with us in the wee hours almost every night and a mysterious critter that has decided to take up residence under our bathtub, I rarely get a full night's sleep.  If my son is not stealing covers or punching me in the face, the critter keeps me awake with scratching and banging.  Apparently, since I have super mommy hearing, I'm the only one that hears all the racket.  Well, me and our dog, Travis.  It's driving me INSANE.  Hubby thought he resolved the problem on Mother's Day by affixing wire mesh to the floor joists under the tub.  Nope.  Around 3a.m. I punched him and told him that "it" seems ticked off now.  He said, "hmmmph... whatever it is must be pretty big."  Yay.....
  2. Mother's Day was a little different this year.  We normally have a fish fry at my grandmother's after church on Mother's Day.  However, we had the fish fry a few weeks early while my aunt was in town.  So, this year, we went to my grandmother's and just hung out for a while.  Have I mentioned that I don't get much sleep?  LOL!  After we ate, my uncle turned golf on the tv, and I'm sorry but watching golf is like watching paint dry!  While they were all watching the snoozapalooza on TV, I was struggling to keep my eyes open.  I decided to go take a nap.  The next thing I knew, my youngest was peeking into the room, and said, "Mommy, I'm tired too."  So, he curled up next to me and we both napped.  My baby isn't so little anymore - as I mentioned, he's almost 9, and he's growing up way too fast.  For the longest time, every Sunday after church, he and I would curl up on the couch together and take a nap.  This went on for years.  I don't remember when it stopped, but I miss it.
  3. Once I turned 40, things really starting going downhill for me.  Seriously, it's like my warranty expired and all my parts started failing one right after the other.  For example, I learned in a most alarming way that I had high blood pressure - I'm talking stroke potential.  I started having issues with my joints, which led to the discovery that my thyroid was acting up.  Well... you get the drift.  In my right arm alone, I have..... get this tendinitis in my elbow, carpal tunnel and a slight tear in my rotator cuff. Those three issues occasionally flare up separately.  Mother's Day they all three decided to visit.  So, by midday my right arm was essentially useless.   I'm right handed.  Happy Mother's Day to me.
  4. Earlier this week, my youngest received a medal for winning his class' math tournament.  Yay!  Congratulations, baby!
  5. My oldest son had his Spring band concert last night night.  I'm so proud of him.  He did well, and he really seems to enjoy playing the trumpet.  Unfortunately, every time I tried to take his picture, the little snot hid behind his trumpet.  He's in the 6th grade Beginning Band, and they have improved significantly since their Winter concert.  In between songs, the band instructor spoke briefly, and at one point he mentioned band camp.  I have no idea what he said after that because what immediately sprang to my mind was  "one time at band camp....."  (QUICK!  Name that movie.)  Just so you know, my son will not be attending band camp.  Well, not this year.
  6. After the concert last night, I stayed up and finally baked the chocolate chip cookie dough that had been "resting" in my fridge.  Yes, the recipe calls for "resting."  I packaged them up, and brought them to work to sell.  All cookies were gone in 5 minutes.  I need a bigger kitchen.
  7. Luckily it rained last weekend, so my garage sale was cancelled.  Yay!  Unfortunately, that also means, I'm still broke.  Bummer.  This weekend we're back to our normal routine; my youngest is playing in a baseball tournament.  The coaches asked for games after noon, so of course, our  games times for Saturday are at 9a.m. and 10:45a.m.  Gotta love it.  At least this tournament is only 15 miles or so from home, and we'll be home early enough Saturday to tend to some household chores.  Teams will be seeded based on how they did Saturday, and seeding will determine our first game time Sunday.  Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep past 3a.m. for a change.
Have a great weekend everyone!