Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Random Randomness

This weekend will be a busy one.  No, we aren't playing in a baseball tournament.  We're hosting one.  Well, Thursday, we're hosting a golf tournament and Friday, Saturday and Sunday we'll be hosting a baseball tournament.  All to raise money for our baseball team to attend the World Series.  So, there's a great deal of work ahead.  If you're interested and helping this team of talented young boys go to the World Series, please contact me directly.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated, and your donation would be completely tax deductible.  Thank you.

-----

While surfing ebay one evening, I noticed that there were several pair of Jelly shoes listed as vintage for $20 plus dollars.  For anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of Jelly shoes, they're basically plastic shoes.  They don't ever break in, and they don't breathe.  That means that you're tearing the crap out of your feet over and over again while standing in a mud puddle of your own making.  UGH!

Don't get me wrong, as a kid, I thought these shoes would be awesome.  I could wear them whenever and wherever and not have to worry if they got dirty - just hose them off.  Oh.My.Goodness.  I think I rubbed blisters clear down the bone each time I wore those darned things.  And seriously?  The sweat?  I must have more sweat glands than your average person because let me tell you, I sweat!  With those Jelly shoes, there's nothing to wick that sweat away, so you truly are standing in a puddle of your own sweat and sliding around in your own shoes.  SO NASTY!

I guess my question is WHY?  Why are these things still around?  They were a bad idea then, and are still a bad idea now. Now, I'm testing my memory some, but I don't think they cost anywhere near $20 brand new.  Just because they're old or "vintage" doesn't mean they're worth anything.  It's like saying something is a valuable antique just because it's old.  Ummm... No.

-----

I found a few products that I'd like to talk about.  Let's start with the moisturizer.  I'm in my late 40s, and have really oily acne-prone skin.  Yes, I still breakout.  I have to be very careful about what I put on my face.  But because of my age, my skin can be kinda of bi-polar as well.  So, I have to change things up to keep it guessing, especially with the change of the seasons.  In the summer, I prefer to go a little lighter with my foundation, and had been looking for a tinted moisturizer to try without spending a fortune.  I found  Physician's Formula Healthy Wear tinted moisturizer with SPF 50 at my local discount store.  This stuff covers well (a little goes a long way), and helps to protect my skin from the sun as well.  I wear this tinted moisturizer as my foundation in the summer time, and use just a little loose powder to set it.

Eyeliner has always been an issue for me as well.  I have allergies and my eyes can be sensitive at times, so again, I have to be careful what products I use so I don't end up looking like a weepy raccoon by the end of the day.  I like the staying power of a liquid eyeliner, but I'm really challenged when trying to apply it.  I always end up getting the liquid everywhere.  I had read something about eyeliner gels, and one day while  picking up some tinted moisturizer, I saw the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips gel cream liner.  I love this stuff!  It's a set of three stackable color pods color-coordinated for your eye color.  My eyes are hazel, so I bought the hazel set. Duh!  My gel pods are brown, black and a pinkish color.  I love them!  They provide the staying power of the liquid combined with the easy application of a pencil.  Plus, you get three colors for around $10.  A brush does come with the pods, but as with most cosmetics, I recommend you throw away the applicator provided and use a good set of brushes.

Finally, my newest find Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter.  I don't know about you, but it's difficult for me to find a lipcolor that I really like.  But so far, I'm really impressed with this stuff.  This lip butter is moisturizing and has just the right amount of shine without making me look like I've been gnawing on a big greasy pork chop - you know what I'm talking about.  The color I chose, Sugar Plum, provides just a touch of sheer color that matches my natural lip color when I blush.  My local Walgreens had this on sale for $6.99 and offered a coupon for an additional $1 off.  SCORE!  I think I'll go back and try more colors. 

DISCLAIMER:  I have not been asked to review these products nor have I been compensated in any way.  However, I seem to be getting low on the tinted moisturizer, so if the company would like to send some my way.... that would be great.