Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kitchen Window Treatment Re-Do

I know you've been waiting with bated breath on the kitchen window treatment reveal.  So, as a reminder, here's the before again.

Hideous, right?

Okay, here's the new and improved.  I know you can see that I used two tension rods to install the valance.  After I took this photo, I adjusted the fabric so that you can no longer see the ends of the tensions rods.  However, I didn't get a chance to take another quick picture because, well... we had to get out the door and off to school and work.  I was going to have hubby make an actual wooden valance that I would upholster, but yeah... I didn't want to wait on him.  I do think the valance needs to look a tad more crisp.  So who knows, if I decide to change it, I may end up making the wooden valances myself.

I mentioned that these were no-sew window treatments, and I honestly did not sew a thing.  I did use my handy dandy little sewing kit though.  Isn't it awesome?  Don't be haters.  Okay, stop laughing!  I told you that I don't sew.

After I relieved the Diva Dog of her guard duties, here's what I did:
I measured and cut my fabric considering my seam allowance.  Once I cleaned off the little card table, it was much easier on my back to cut the fabric on the card table.  I also discovered that the pair of the scissors in the sewing kit, regardless of how small they are, still cut fabric much better than my old kitchen shears.  Oh, here's a good tip for you:  Make sure there's not any WET dark brown paint on the card table from hubby touching up some bath cabinet trim.  UGH!  Yes, I was able to get the paint out of the fabric panel, thank goodness!

Instead of sewing these panels, I used stitch witchery, which meant ironing.  I did get a burn or two, but these panels look so much better than they would have had I attempted to sew them. 

With the cafe curtain panels, I didn't need a rod pocket, so they are just nice little rectangles hung on cafe curtain rings.  However, with the valance, I used two tension rods, so I did need two rod pockets.  Therefore, I increased the size of the seam allowance, and positioned the stitch witchery where I had enough space for the rod to slip through once the hem was ironed down. 

While I was poking myself with straight pins, burning myself with an iron and climbing on the kitchen cabinets, this is what Ben and the diva dog, Bitsy, were up to.  This picture cracks me up.  She's sitting in his lap watching whatever is on the computer screen.  Every once in a while, she would move the mouse and aggravate Ben.  Too funny!

Well, here's a side-by-side comparison.  This project was super easy and inexpensive.  I was able to find the fabric 50% off at Hancock Fabric just prior to the Labor Day Holiday.  I think the most expensive fabric was the stripe, and it was on sale for $3 per yard.  They only had 3 yards of the stripe left, so even though I didn't think I would need that much, I bought it all in case I screwed up.  I consider this project a success.  In fact, I now think I'll do something similar in the hall bathroom we are currently re-doing.  Hopefully I'll be able to have a reveal on that someday soon.

So, what do you think?

Have a great day everyone!