Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---
Temps have been cooler here recently.  I'm not ready for cold weather.  Good thing this is Arkansas.  As we say, if you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change soon.  Most years, we're still wearing short sleeves and sweating bullets on Halloween.  I hope that holds true this year as well. 

Have you all picked out your costumes yet?  Garrett has decided he doesn't want to dress up this year.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  My babies are growing up too fast.
--- 2 ---
I'm trying to change some things on this here little blog 'o mine.  However, being computer illiterate is really putting a kink in things.  I googled Blogger for Dummies, and guess what!??!  Yup, there is a book!  I'm excited.  I think I'm going to buy it, and I really hope it will help me with some of the upgrades I want to do.  I see all of these really nice, elaborate blogs that use the same blogging software (is that even a term?  See!  I'm clueless!) that I use, yet my blog looks like an elementary school student created it.  Actually, if truth be known, an elementary school student would probably do a better job than I have.  Maybe I should ask my 4th grader to help me figure this stuff out.
--- 3 ---
My children get excited over the strangest things.  Yesterday Gabe called me from after school care to remind me there was a PTO meeting at school followed by open house with his Alpha teacher.  Apparently he didn't know about the PTO meeting and thought all we had was the ALPHA open house.  Heaven forbid we skip the PTO meeting, and arrive just in time for the open house.  Was he really excited about the PTO meeting or the fact that they sell pizza during the meeting?  Apparently they are now giving away a bicycle at each PTO meeting this year.  I'm guessing this was the reason for my son's excitement.  Yesterday, the principal rode a bicycle through the school hallways and into each class to remind kids about the meeting and the bicycle giveaway.  Well, it worked.  Thanks, Jason eeerrrrm... Mr.Young!

Six months ago, Garrett had a consultation with the orthodontist.  Apparently, Garrett still has several baby teeth to lose before he'll get braces.  He actually had so many baby teeth the orthodontist thought the dentist's office had sent the wrong xray.  After looking in Garrett's mouth, he declared he actually did receive a current xray, and Garrett had 9 teeth he should have lost already.  (Or maybe it was that he should have lost all of those teeth by the age of 9, I don't remember.)  The orthodontist showed Garrett which teeth he needed to work on losing and said that if Garrett couldn't get them out in the next 6 months, he would have to take them out.

Now, 6 months later, Garrett has an appointment on Monday with the orthodontist.  I don't know if he's lost all of the teeth he was supposed to, but I do know the tooth fairy has been a regular visitor at our house lately.  Garrett is excited about the appointment, and has asked me numerous times if he'll get his braces on Monday.  I don't know the answer to that.  It seems he wants to get his braces.  I thought most kids dread braces, yet my child is excited.  Go figure.
--- 4 ---
As I mentioned last week, baseball is officially over for us until January 2013.  However, our team participates in a strength and fitness camp in the off season.  This camp will start Sunday.  If any of you have ever been to a bootcamp - that's what this is. 

This is Gabe on the day after his 1st camp last fall.  Bless his heart, he was so sore.  I laughed, but I know exactly how he felt.  I've done 3 6-week bootcamp sessions with Gabe's instructor, and trust me, you get a thorough work out.  The bootcamp I did was a little different in that we worked out 6 out of 7 days per week while the boys are only going through camp one day a week.  I can tell you when I did the bootcamp, I lost 12 inches in the first 6 weeks.  Since then I've gone back to my slothful ways and have gained it all back and then some.  So, I'm tempted to get some of the other moms that did the bootcamp with me to hold our own little mini camp while the boys are doing their thing.  I'm not sure how many takers I'll have though.
--- 5 ---
Politics!  I hate it!  It's screwing with my facebook news feed, ya'll!  I will be so glad when the election is over.  Agree to disagree folks, and be civil in your posts.  Nothing makes me angrier than someone who reverts to name calling because someone else doesn't have the same opinion.  That's childish.  You might as well be saying "Oh, yeah?  Your MOMMA!"  If you can't make informed, valid points in support of your argument and have to resort to insults and name calling, then maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself.  Have you ever heard the saying, "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."  Just sayin'.


--- 6 ---


Garrett's 7th grade band will perform at the high school football game tonight.  He's so excited.  This is the first time I've been to a high school football game in years, probably decades actually.  So. I'm a little excited myself.  I hope my boy does well.  I remember performing when I was younger (I played instruments, and I sang in the Beauty Shop Quartet and Madrigal groups), and it could be nerve wracking.  Sometimes before a performance I would feel like I had sweat pouring and thought I might puke any minute.  Usually once I got on stage everything was fine, provided I didn't have to dance.  Dance routines were always a special Hell for me.  In my mind, I look like Elaine from Seinfeld when I dance.  Plus, I'm one of those people that will trip over their own feet or walk out on stage with my skirt tucked into the back of my undies.  So, once I got on stage and I didn't trip or feel a breeze on my backside, it was all good.  Seriously, welcome to my world.

So far it appears that my boy wasn't "blessed" with my grace.  I'm saying a quick prayer for him anyway.  If you're reading this, Break a leg, Garrett!  I mean that in the showbiz figurative kinda way!  Oh, never mind, I'll explain it to ya later.  Good luck, and I love you, buddy!

--- 7 ---
TGIF, ya'll!  I hope you all have a fabulous weekend.


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!