Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---
Crazy week, this week.  There's not much to report on though.  I guess that's a good thing.  Right?  RIGHT??
--- 2 ---
The boys and I did some more experimenting with crisped rice cereal, and it was yummy.  You can read about it here.  Also, last weekend I made a big pot of Cabbage Creole, a favorite in the Fall & Winter months.  It lasted a whole 2 days.  You can get that recipe here.
--- 3 ---
I've ordered Blogger for Dummies in the hopes it will help me make some much-needed changes to the blog.  I'm tired of the cookie-cutter beginner template, and need to personalize more things around here.  Plus, I'm trying to figure out how I can separate out recipes with their own tab or "page."  Stay tuned.  Hopefully I'll get these things worked out soon.
--- 4 ---
Parent teacher conferences - I don't care for them, especially the middle school conferences that are NOT organized at all.  At these conferences, my son's teaching "team" is located in one room and you have to jockey for a chance to visit with each of the teachers.  Although some parents are courteous and form a line, others just walk in and sit down with a newly available teacher before a parent in line can get to the table.  Frustrating!!  PLUS, although I know this was parent teacher conference night, if you're child is having problems so significant that it requires 30+ minutes of the teacher's time, maybe you should schedule a private conference.  Just sayin'.
--- 5 ---

Have any of you ever had an allergy test.  I had one done in the early 90s, where they did a scratch test on my back.  I took allergy shots for a few years.  Well, apparently, I didn't take the shots long enough for it to make a significant difference in my allergies.  So, I had another allergy test done Thursday, and apparently I'm allergic to everything.  Seriously.  Dust, mold, trees, grass, feathers, horses, dogs and cats - Oh, and cockroaches.  Ummm yeah.  They tested me for cockroaches.  Gross.  I'm still allergic to all of the things I remember from my 1st test.

I'm highly allergic to cats and oak trees.  Obviously, I knew that.  I can avoid cats for the most part, but oak trees?  How on earth am I supposed to avoid them?  This is Arkansas for crying out loud.  There are oak trees everywhere.  I live on 3 acres of oak trees.

My doctor has offered me at-home immunotherapy.  This means that I would go to the clinic for the first 2 or 3 shots, and they would teach me how to administer the shot myself, how to use an Epipen, etc.  Anytime my dosage is increased or changed in anyway, I would have to go to the clinic for that shot.  I don't have any doubts that I could give myself a shot, but man, we're looking at over $4,000 each year PLUS the cost of the syringes, etc.  Additionally, they recommend that I continue to take the allergy meds I've been taking, AND the immunotherapy should last three to five years for it to be really effective.  Yikes!    After the 3- to 5-year period, my allergies may be completely reversed or in the very least significantly reduced.  So, there's that....
--- 6 ---
I judged a chili cook off today.  I totally forgot I was supposed to do it.  It was really great timing though because this morning was really crazy, and I didn't have time to fix myself some lunch.    It was a nice reminder that some surprises are actually good ones. 
--- 7 ---
I hope your surprises are good ones!  TGIF!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!