Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Cabbage Creole Soup



I suppose I'm not alone in this, but when it's cooler outside, I tend to make more soups, chili, etc.  Cabbage creole has been one of my favorite homemade soups since I was a teen.  The aroma of this takes me back to my great grandmother's kitchen, which is really odd, because I don't remember my great grandmother ever fixing this.  My grandmother, or Nanny as we call her, was the person I remember fixing this first.  I'm not sure where she got the recipe, but it's a keeper.  Now, as most of you know, I will only follow a recipe once maybe twice.  From then on, I put my own stamp on it and modify it to my taste.  So, what I'm going to give you is my version of cabbage creole.  Please bear in mind that when I cook, I cook by taste, I don't usually measure things.  Therefore, measurements provided on the spices are all estimates.
  
1 lb ground beef
1 head cabbage, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper
1 small can tomato paste
1 can Original Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies
1 mdm onion, chopped
1/4 of large block of Velveeta, diced small
1 tsp garlic powder
1 to 1-1/2 tbs chili powder
2 cubes beef bouillon
Cook ground beef and chopped onion until the beef is done, then drain.  While your ground beef is browning, clean and chop the cabbage.  

After draining the ground beef, add all other ingredients EXCEPT Velveeta.  Now add enough water so that the majority of the cabbage is covered. 

Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure that all cabbage is cooked through to desired tenderness or approximately 1 hour.  Once the cabbage starts to become tender, you'll want to add the Velveeta.  I suggest you dice it as small as possible or you'll end up with tiny little cheese balls in your soup.  It in no way takes away from the flavor, but it might not be as visually appealing.  Allow to simmer a little longer, continuing to stir on occasionally until the Velveeta has melted and has been blended well into the soup.
Although it already has quite a bit of cheese in it, before serving I will usually sprinkle the top with a little shredded cheddar and some dried chives.  Most of the time I will serve this with either mexican or plain corn bread.  This is one of those soups that is even better the next day.

I hope you enjoy.

I'm linking up at

and



HouseofHepworths