Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats

The boys have been begging me to buy some of the flavored marshmallows.  So, since I'm still craving pumpkin for some strange reason, I decided to buy some pumpkin spice flavored marshmallows.  My local Wal*Mart sells these around the holidays, but I don't know if they carry them any other time.

After dinner, the boys and I made some pumpkin spice rice crispy treats.  I have to admit, I was skeptical, but they were really good.

We followed the recipe for original rice crispy treats:

Original Rice Crispy Treats
3 Tbs of butter
10 oz of marshmallows*
6 cups of crisped rice cereal

*Obviously, here we used pumpkin spice flavored marshmallows.

Prepare a 9x13 dish.  In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter, being careful not to burn it. 

Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows. 

Stir the butter/marshmallow mixture continuously until all marshmallows are melted.  Remove from heat and stir in the crisped rice cereal and combine well. 

Once all cereal is coated well with the marshmallow mixture, pour into the prepared baking dish.  I would recommend putting butter on your hands and using your hands to press this down into the dish.  Using butter will keep the mixture from sticking to your hands.  Remember hot marshmallow can and will burn if it sticks to you.

Gabe was a little impatient, and didn't want to wait on the treats to cool.  So, he grabbed the pot and scraped out what he could.  I see he got it all over his school shirt in the process.  I don't know why I even buy him white.  UGH!
To add a little extra flavor punch, I drizzled some caramel ice cream sauce across the top of these, and the boys snatched them up as soon as I took the picture.   I imagine drizzling some chocolate across the top would be good as well, but Garrett isn't quite sold on the awesomeness that is chocolate.  I know!  Crazy, right??

I'm sure most of us have made the basic rice crispy treats a few times in our lives.  They are so simple to make, and so yummy.  If you're looking for something quick that you can make with your kiddos, this is it.  In fact, my boys did all of the work themselves except pressing the hot mixture into the dish.  I didn't want them to get burned, so I did that.  Try doing what we did and change things up a bit. We've made these treats with the fruity or cocoa flavored crisped rice, corn flakes, etc. I think next time I may try using some caramels and chocolate - ooooh or maybe even some peanut butter.  Yummm!  I'll let you know how those turn out.

I hope you have fun, and enjoy!