Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Whatchamadoodle Rice Crispy Treats



My youngest named these.  We were trying to create our own version of a candy bar with a similar name.  Although, it's not an exact recreation, it's similar and quite tasty.  Other than the marshmallows, I used items that I already had on hand.



Again, I followed the basic Rice Crispy Treat recipe:

3 tbs. of butter
10 oz. marshmallows
6 cups of crisped rice cereal

Additional ingredients used:
1/3 cup of peanut butter
20 to 24 caramels (we may or may not have eaten some out of the bag)
1/8 cup cream or milk
1 tbs shortening

Prepare a 9 X 13 pan.  In a large pot, melt the butter being careful not to burn it. Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows. Stir continuously until the marshmallows are melted so they don't scorch. 

When the marshmallows were melted, we added 1/3 cup of peanut butter and mixed it in well.  We then removed the pot from the heat and added the crisped rice cereal and stirred to coat the cereal well with the marshmallow/peanut butter mixture.  Next, pour the mixture into the prepared 9X13 pan, butter your hands, and press the mixture into the prepared pan.

Ignore the frozen pina cola mix on the counter.  (That was for my benefit.)
While the crisped rice mixture is cooling, add approximately 20 to 24 caramels to a double boiler.  We may or may not have eaten a few of the caramels.  Don't bother count what's here, because I have no idea where in the process I took this photo.  We may have still been unwrapping the caramels at this point.
 Add approximately 1/8 cup of cream or milk to the caramels to help make them easier to spread.

Stir caramel mixture until it's completely melted.

Pour the caramel mixture onto the crisped rice and spread evenly.  Set it aside and allow it cool.  Now again in a double boiler, add approximately 8 to 10oz. of chocolate chips and a 1 tbs of shortening.  (I say approximately, because I used an open bag of mini Tollhouse chips that I had on-hand.)  The shortening lessens the chance your chocolate with seize, and it will make the chocolate a little easier to spread but still allow it firm up when cooled. 
Now that the chocolate has melted, you want to spread it evenly over your cooled crisped cereal/caramel mixture. Allow it to cool thoroughly so that the chocolate will be hard before slicing and serving.

I actually refrigerated this for about 2 hours before I cut it.  These are really yummy, but I think next time I'll bump the peanut butter up to 1/2 cup and make the caramel layer a little thicker.  My husband, who does not like rice crispy treats at all, really liked these and has probably eaten 1/2 the pan already, if that tells you anything.
Enjoy!!
I'm linking up at