Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Caramel Pecan Coconut Brownies

Since we are officially in the Holiday Season, I thought I'd share a few recipes with you over the next few weeks.  First off, I'll start with the Caramel Pecan Coconut Brownies.  I saw a picture of these brownies a few weeks ago on Oh So Shabby with Debbie Reynolds.  However, whenever I decided to make these brownies, I didn't have all of the ingredients her recipe required.  Since this was the night before Thanksgiving, there was no way I was going back to the store.  Uh, uh!!  Therefore, as usual, I improvised.

Here's what I used:

Fudge Brownie mix - prepared according to box
1 7 oz. bag of sweetened coconut
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet mini morsels
1 cup chopped pecans
Smucker's caramel syrup

I have to apologize, we had just come in from Gabe's basketball practice, and I was focused on the cooking I had to do.  So, we didn't start taking pictures until I had already started.  Plus, my little photographer didn't always have the most steady hands. 

Grease the bottom & sides of a 13x9 baking dish with butter, and set it aside.  Prepare the brownie batter according to the directions on the box. 

Top the brownie batter evenly with the shredded coconut. 
Next sprinkle the chocolate chip morsels evenly over the top of the coconut. 
Top the chocolate chip morsels with the chopped pecans and finally, pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of it all.  Notice that I forgot to put the pecans on top of the chocolate chips?  Yeah - I caught that just before I put it in the oven so the pecans did make it on the brownies.

Bake according to the directions on the brownie box or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing.  (I know... yeah right!  Like that's happening!)

Of course any good cook must sample their food before they serve it, right?  I'll admit, I didn't wait for these to completely cool.  Who can resist a hot brownie, I ask you??  Well, I noticed that since I didn't add the pecans before I poured the sweetened condensed milk, not all the pecans were "glued down" and some were falling off as I tried to take a bite.  The brownies also seemed just a little drier than I had anticipated.  So, what's a girl to do?  I know.... grab the caramel sauce out of the fridge!  I did just that, and I drizzled the caramel sauce all over the top.  That did the trick!!  These brownies were so yummy!  In fact, I don't think Ben even got one, they went so fast.








Try these, and let me know what you think.  I believe you'll thank me!!

I'm linking up at:

 
HouseofHepworths
five days five ways | feature friday free for all