Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.  We did, and we are truly blessed.  Of course, we missed some family members that were unable to be with us.
--- 2 ---
My allergies have really been bothering me lately, so Saturday in between loads of laundry, I decided to kick back in the recliner and take a quick nap.  I swear I was only out for about 30 minutes, but that was time enough for my boys to sneak inside, get my $20 bottle of Philosophy shower gel and try to wash both vehicles.  When I stuck my head out the door, and they poked their heads up from behind the Pilot, they were both dripping.  I yelled for them to get inside and dry off.  Of course, Garrett, my oldest decided to try the guilt-trip route to get out of trouble.  He said, "we just thought it would be a nice thing to wash your car for you, Mommy."  Why yes, it would be a nice thing, EXCEPT anytime they decide to wash something, it's really just an excuse to soak each other.  This particular day, it was approximately 40 degrees and both have been sick with colds.  They wonder why they can't kick those colds.  I can't imagine why.
--- 3 ---
I considered myself ahead of the game come Christmas Eve.  I didn't have the last minute rush of things that I usually have. Sunday while the boys were outside burning brush with their dad, I locked myself in the bedroom and wrapped the last of the presents.  Unfortunately, since I wasn't in the living room to keep an eye on them, they tracked in mud and soot all over my area rugs, kitchen rugs and couch.  UGH!
--- 4 ---
For days the weather forecasters were basically rolling the dice regarding a Christmas day snowfall for our area.  They were fairly sure Arkansas would get snow, but the amount each area would receive, if any, varied drastically.  The last projection I heard for our area was about 1 inch, possibly a little more.  WE GOT 10 INCHES!  Apparently, Arkansas was one of the few states fortunate enough to experience a rare thundersnow.  The name even sounds wicked, doesn't it?  Sounds like something out of the movies - Mad Maxx and the Thundersnow!!
--- 5 ---
The power in our home went out 11:30 Christmas night, and as of this writing, we still have no power. I'm tired..... so, I'm a little punch drunk, so to speak. Sorry.


I had to laugh at a friend who posted the following on Facebook: 
"For all of those inconvenienced by the snow storm, I would like to personally apologize.  There is a button marked "snow" in Lisa's Lexus and I pushed it the other day to see what would happen.

My bad....."

So, I blame YOU, Sam!  Step away from the button!  LOL!
--- 6 ---
Thursday night, we decided to give in and go stay at my grandmother's house. She has electricity and plenty of room.  However, 2 full-sized adults and 2 dogs in a full-size bed does not make for a good night's rest. But, at least we had heat. For that, I'm extremely grateful. 

I'm sure my boys are grateful that Nanny packed away the creepy dolls in the bedroom where they slept.  Teehee!


I realize there are still more than 100,000 homes and business without power.  We are inconvenienced, but other than having colds we are relatively healthy, we're together as a family, and we're okay - so what is a little inconvenience in the scheme of things?  We will get through this, and just think of the memories we're making. 

I'm also trying to take advantage of each teaching moment I encounter.  For example, Garrett complained last night about the comfort of the bed he had.  I reminded him that he could be at home sleeping on the cold, hard floor by the wood burning stove or worse yet, homeless without a bed at all like so many others.  I think he got the message.
--- 7 ---
The New Year is right around the corner.  Are you making any resolutions?  If so, what are they?  Are any of your resolutions new or are you dusting off the same ones from years past?

One of my goals is de-clutter, simplify and organize both my home and my life as a whole.  The home part may be a little difficult since I live with a pack rat, but I'm going to try.  Clutter stresses me, and I definitely need to de-stress.

Here's wishing you and yours a very happy, safe and prosperous New Year!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.