Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday

 




--- 1 ---
We're now on the downhill side of another crazy week.  Christmas is just a few days away, and NO, I'm still not ready.  **sigh**
--- 2 ---
Gabe's basketball team lost pretty badly Saturday, and although I know this is going to sound bad, I think it was because Gabe was sick.  Although he's one of the younger boys on the team, Gabe seems to be one of the boys that gets everyone pumped up, and he's a major force on defense.  Saturday, he was still one of the high scorers, but he was dragging tail.  We knew he didn't feel great, because we had to wake him up to take him to the game, but we didn't realize just how bad he did feel.  When we got home from his game, he went right to sleep and developed a fever.  Poor little guy.  I didn't feel well either, so he and I napped most of the afternoon.
--- 3 ---
All of us have felt pretty crummy at one point or another this week, and Garrett actually asked to go to the doctor. The doctor says that Garrett has an extremely bad cold. He also said the cold virus this year is particularly nasty and highly contagious, and that he's sure we are all passing it back and forth. Yay! So, now we know why we've all felt bad.  We also learned that my status as Mom of the Year is not in jeopardy. I could have sworn that both boys had already gotten their flu shots this year. Turns out, no. So, Garrett got his shot Wednesday, and I have to take Gabe in this afternoon for his.  So, Mom of the Year, right here folks!!  I'm so proud......
--- 4 ---
Ben slammed his own finger in the car door Tuesday.  How is this even possible??  When asked that very question, he simply rolled his eyes and shook his head.  I feel for him though, I know it hurts.  It looks like he smashed it right across the cuticle.  When he showed his finger only a few minutes after it happened, the nail had already turned purple.  It reminds me of my broken toe when Gabe ran over my toe with a revolving door.  I think Ben's finger is broken also, but, will he go to the doctor?  Of course not!
--- 5 ---
Thursday, I posted the recipe for "my" chocolate chip cookies.  If you missed that, you can find it here.
--- 6 ---
I know I've mentioned that Gabe would be portraying Santa in a play.  Well, the play was Wednesday, and he did AWESOME!  It was entitled The Wizard of Claus and was like a Christmas themed Wizard of Oz.  An evil elf named Biff was mad that Santa had known him for 97 years, but could never get his name right always calling him Bernard, Bud, etc.  So, the evil elf devises a plan to get even.  He works on the toy machine and causes it to start making evil toys.  When all the boys and girls open their evil toys, they lose faith and no longer believe in Santa.  Because they no longer believe, Santa is frozen.  A good elf volunteers to follow the treacherous Christmas Road to visit the Christmas Wizard to try and save Christmas and help Santa.  Along the way, Owen, the good elf, gains an entourage of Christmas misfits, such as the Gingerbread Man who has lost his gumdrop button.  Pretty creative, I think, for a bunch of 4th and 5th graders.  Don't you?


--- 7 ---

If you're reading this, the world hasn't ended yet.  I saw this, and had to laugh.  There have always been doomsdayers and folks screaming it's the end of the world.  I even saw a Facebook post reciting the supposed time it will all end.  5:11a.m. CST, in case you were wondering.  I do believe things are changing.  Is the end of days close at hand?  Who knows.  Remember, the Bible says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.  As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man."  Matthew 24:36-37.  If Jesus doesn't even know, I doubt God would have tipped off the Maya.

Until that day does come, I plan on putting my faith in the Lord above.  With His help, I will try to be the best person I can possibly be, and Ben and I will try to raise our boys to the best of our ability to be good, faithful men.

Someone posted this link on Facebook.  It's one of my most favorite Christmas songs, but this version has just haunted me.  I simply cannot stop playing it.  I hope it speaks to you as much as it does me.  After all, He is the reason for this season.


May the peace of Christ be with you.  Merry Christmas!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.