Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

It Takes a Village...

A personal message to the teachers and school administrators who have touched our lives:

I've been deeply affected by the tragedy that occurred Friday.  I've cried off and on all weekend, and tears are rolling now as I write this.  I can't bear to watch television or look at Facebook because all that's there now is pictures of those sweet angels and school faculty whose lives were taken much too soon.  I can't make any sense of what has occurred.

I was so busy Friday, and I didn't hear about the events until later in the afternoon. As soon as I heard I wanted to rush to my babies, take them out of school early and just hold them tight until, well.... forever.  But I didn't.  I was an emotional wreck, and I was debating on what, how or even IF I would tell my boys about the day's events.  Showing up in that state would only alarm the boys.  I knew they were safe at the time, and I needed time to collect myself, so I allowed our day to progress as usual and I tried to limit their television exposure over the weekend.

It's now Monday, and I still had not told my boys anything.  Goodness knows I didn't want to take them to school this morning, but then I remembered so many of those teachers and school administrators at Sandy Hook who loved and protected those children, some even laying down their own lives to save those of their students.  I felt better knowing that you love your students as well. You worry about them.  You laugh with them, you play with them.  I know you don't hear this often enough, but thank you.  Thank you for all that you do to help teach, love, protect and shape the lives of these little people.  It comforts me to know that they are safe and loved in your care.

Before we left for school this morning, I decided to tell my boys what happened.  Surprisingly they already knew.  My youngest even mentioned that one of our local elementary schools had gone into lock down following the tragedy.  I assured them they would be safe at their respective schools,  and I reminded them to trust in their teachers and administrators and to keep all of these families in their prayers.

They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I want to thank you for being a part of our village.