Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thundersnow

Sorry - I've been absent.  For those that don't know, we've been snowed in since Christmas night.  Apparently, Arkansas was one of the lucky states that experienced the rare Thundersnow.  Whatever they call it, we got hammered.  Arkansans are not used to snow, we don't typically get snow.  I know I'm ready for it to BE GONE!!

The power in our home went out at 11:30 Christmas night.  Power has still not been restored, nor does it appear that it will be anytime soon.  Luckily we have a gas range, gas water heater and a wood burning stove.  So, we've closed off the back part of the house, and have all basically been living in the living room.  Ben and the boys bedded down on a pallet in the living room floor last night, while the two dogs and I tossed and turned on the couch.  Actually, the dogs slept really well.  Me?  Not so much.

Using the wood burning stove, the gas range and some portable propane heaters we have, we've been able to keep the living area fairly comfortable (around 60 degrees).  We saved the propane heaters for bedtime, and we used the last of our propane tanks, last night.  I hope that we'll be able to find some more today.

The boys thought it was a fun adventure.  At first.  Like camping.  Now, I think the "fun" is starting to wear off.  The boys' game systems are dead or have low batteries, the laptops are dead, mine & Ben's phones are off limits because we're trying to save the batteries, etc.  We've played numerous games of Battleship, Go Fish, Left Right Center, etc.  We even read aloud last night.  I KNOW, I can barely believe it myself.  Gabe even asked for me to read.  Imagine that! 

I know we're are not the only family without power.  From what I understand Arkansas originally had over 190,000 homes and businesses without power.  Now there are approximately 130,000 still without power, including the big Baptist Hospital in Little Rock.  As much as being without power stinks, we are okay.  We understand there are others that take priority.  They'll get our power back on as soon as they can.  In the meantime, I'd like to ask for your prayers, not only for my family, but for all of those affected by this storm.  Actually, please pray for anyone struggling this time of year, whatever their struggle may be.

Thank you.