Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday

 

My thoughts and prayers are going out to Jennifer Fulwiler of Conversion Diary, and her family.  Jennifer is currently hospitalized with bilateral pulmonary embolisms.  According to Hallie Lord, Jen and the baby are doing well and will send updates as soon as they can.
--- 1 ---
I hope you all had a fabulous start to the new year.  Try as I might, I didn't make it to midnight.  Nor did my baby boy.  In fact, around 10:30 when I stumbled to bed, I found Gabe already asleep in my spot.  So, I nudged him and whispered for him to scoot to the middle.  He mumbled, "I just can't make it, Momma.  I just can't stay awake any longer."  I smiled and whispered back, "Me neither, baby.  I'm coming to bed too."  I fell asleep with a sweet little hand stroking my face.
--- 2 ---
Our little girl, Bitsy, is growing up.  Eh hmmmm..... and we recently discovered that we needed to purchase some doggy diapers for her.  Very early New Year's morning, she hopped on the bed a few times and tried to give me kisses, but I shooed her away.  Gabe and I were the first to get out of bed, and when we walked to the back door to let Bitsy and Travis outside, we discovered that Bitsy had chewed through her diaper and pooped right by the back door.  Happy New Year!!  Bless her heart.  She tried to tell me that she needed to go outside.

I cleaned up the mess, we let them outside and then Gabe and I toasted the new year with some sparkling grape juice while Ben and Garrett slept.
--- 3 ---
We started our new year by going to church.  Then we went to my grandmother's where my mom and step dad were with our newest family member - a sweet little miniature dachshund puppy.  She's 3 months old and I'm guessing she weighs less than a pound.  She's absolutely precious.  My boys wanted to take her home, and frankly, so did I.  For some reason, blogger isn't letting me upload any photos, or trust me, I would have posted a picture or two.  I wish I had gotten a picture of my big hubby holding that sweet baby girl swaddled like a newborn in a pink blankie while she slept.
--- 4 ---
Baseball practice started this week.  Yay!  I know it seems like baseball is pretty much all we do, and for the most part it is.  Gabe plays basketball too, but that's just something to do until baseball starts again.  LOL!  It's a good thing that we love baseball so much.  We've been very fortunate that Gabe has been selected to play on great teams.  By "great" I mean not only is the team very talented, but everyone gets along well.  When you spend as much time together as we do, it's important that you all get along - especially the parents.  Having "good parents" is extremely important because the parents are usually the reason travelling teams break up. Thankfully we all get along wonderfully, in fact, we call each other our "Elite family."   
--- 5 ---
Next week is going to be tough, for the boys and me.  We've all been sleeping as late as possible, which usually means 7a.m. at the latest.  Next week that won't be possible.  We'll need to leave home at 7:30 to get Gabe to school in time.  So I think we'll all be a little "testy" for the first few days.  Getting back into a routine after the holidays is rough.  Then I think about the long stretch between New Year's Day and my next paid holiday off - Memorial Day.  UGH!  Thank goodness we'll have an out-of-town baseball tournament or two to break up that time.  I hope....
--- 6 ---
I think my oldest has officially gone from a picky eater to a teenage (pre-teen) boy who will eat anything.  He recently started making scrambled eggs using my chocolate caramel coffee creamer.  Oh my goodness.... it makes the most horrible looking, gray eggs.  Even though he doesn't like chocolate, he swears these eggs are good.  I'll take his word for it because I can't bring myself to try them.  Blech!!
--- 7 ---
When kids get a new game system, it's amazing what chores you can get them to do to earn play time.  Garrett has never, I repeat NEVER, come in the kitchen and unloaded the dishwasher without being asked much less without any grumbling.  He's been doing this quite often lately since they got their Xbox.  I need to come up with some sort of official play time accrual system, though.  My making a mental note is, sadly, not quite as efficient as I'd like. 

Do any of you allow your children to play Xbox live?  How do you control who they are playing online?  Garrett has a friend who has asked him if he has Xbox live, and I know they want to play each other, but I don't really know much anything about online gaming.  I don't really want to open Pandora's box, so to speak.


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!