Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday



--- 1 ---
So, I had a moment I'm not so proud of this past weekend.  Yeah, I know - only one?  Pffft!!  Saturday during Gabe's basketball game, I'd had enough.  As a former athlete and highly competitive person, his games have become torturous to watch.  There are some really good players on this team, but..... We have one kid whose parents are so frustrated that they don't even bother to bring him to practice anymore.  Yet, when he shows up on game day, he plays.  I get it, he's good (read: big - we call him Baby Shaq), but still... what does that teach the boy?  In my world, if you don't bother to come to practice, then I can't be bothered to let you play - your behind will sit the bench.  (Obviously, there are exceptions.)  Besides, when he does play, he hasn't really been of much benefit because he's not playing to his ability.  Actually, I don't think any of the boys are playing to their ability anymore.  Anyway.... I digress.  My proud moment?  I was so frustrated Saturday, that I stood up, declared that basketball sucked and I couldn't wait for baseball, and I walked away to try and calm down.  Granted I muttered it under my breath, but I know my husband heard it, so I'm sure a few others did as well.  Mom of the year, right here, folks!
--- 2 ---
Last week at Gabe's basketball practice, he broke his glasses AGAIN.  We've now had to order 3 new pairs of glasses and have super glued 2 of them umpteen times.  I fussed at him and told him to wear his Rec specs, or we would leave practice.  He doesn't like wearing the Rec Specs because they fog up.  Unfortunately, the cheap anti-fog spray we have doesn't work, and I haven't spent much time searching for a different one.

During fall baseball, we got Gabe a pair of contacts.  He did fairly well with them for a day or so.  Then one afternoon he had problems getting one of the lenses in, he got frustrated and gave up, and hasn't tried them since.  After breaking his glasses again last week, arguing about wearing the Rec Specs and thinking about the upcoming baseball season, I basically told Gabe he needed to learn to wear his contacts for sports, or he wouldn't play anymore.  I really don't think Ben and I could find the heart to pull him out of baseball because he loves it so much, and he's talented.  But, I didn't want him calling our bluff either, so I called and made an appointment with the eye doctor for them to work with him.  He really didn't want to go to the appointment.  So, I thought I'd sweeten the deal for him, so to speak.  Yes, I offered my child a bribe - whatever works!  He has been begging us for a pair of Oakley sunglasses, but I refuse to buy him prescription sunglasses.  On our way to the eye doctor, I told him that if he'll work with his contacts without attitude, once he's able to get them in and out on his own for 2 straight weeks, I'll buy him a pair of Oakleys.  Let me tell you, his attitude changed immediately.  He's been working with his contacts, he still has some problems, and will often ask me to put them in for him, but he's decided he really likes them.  He likes being able to see when he wakes up.  He had both a baseball and basketball practice this week wearing his contacts, and he was so happy that he didn't have to worry with his with his glasses.  I think he's sold.
--- 3 ---
Winter weather in Central Arkansas causes mass panic, even more so after the massive snow storm we had right after Christmas.  Tuesday it started sleeting, and oh my..... You would think it was the end of the world.  I had several people tell me that I'd better head home.  Why?  Why leave now so that I can sit in traffic going absolutely nowhere?  Let all the people that are panicking get out of the way.  Despite the urging from others, I stayed at work, and when I did leave, there was no traffic.  I made it home in 20 minutes, just like usual.  The roads weren't even slick, at least not where I was.  The only place I slid was at the base of my driveway.  Folks need to chill!
--- 4 ---
Is anyone else concerned about the stomach bug and flu that are going around?  Although I often joke that a good stomach bug sure would kick start the weight loss, I seriously don't want that stuff!  I've tried to explain to my boys some of the places where they can pick up germs (pretty much everywhere) without scaring them to death.  I've reminded not to touch their face and to be sure to use the hand sanitizer at school, especially before they eat.  Then, Gabe tells me that his teacher won't let them use hand sanitizer because she doesn't like the smell.  Excuse me??  Well, good thing I have about a dozen of those pocket-sized hand sanitizers in all kinds of lovely fragrances.  I've made sure that both of my boys have one in their pockets when they leave for school each day.  A few days ago I asked Gabe if he got in trouble for using it, and he said, "No, she doesn't even know I have it."  There you go!  To use a Southern colloquialism, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
--- 5 ---
Prior to basketball practice last night, the Director of the program pulled me aside.  He whispered that Gabe made the All Star basketball team.  Great job, Gabe. I know this season has been tough.  We're proud of you son. 
--- 6 ---
Gabe has his first baseball practice outdoors this weekend.  I can't wait!  Not only do we miss the game, but we miss spending time with our Elite family.
By the way, the AR Easton Elite is now seeking sponsors for the 2013 season.  If you're interested, please contact me via email for more details.   Sponsors may also have the chance to win a shotgun and/or rifle that we are currently raffling.  Again, contact me directly for more details.

This team is the 2012 8AAA Undefeated World Series Champions, and sponsorships helped make that possible for this talented group of boys. 



--- 7 ---
I haven't shared this in a while.  Thank goodness it's finally Friday!  Enjoy!




For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!