Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---

Okay, the update on Gabe's contacts saga:  He has pretty much given up on trying to put his contacts in himself, but... BUT, he now asks me to put them in for him.  I dreaded the idea of this since previous attempts have not ended well.  However, I agreed provided he would sit still and quiet like he did for Ms. Christy, do what I asked him to do and not argue.  He agreed, but I was sceptical.  He actually surprised me.  He sat as still as can be expected of a 9-year old boy, he did exactly what I asked him to do and his contacts were in, well in the blink of an eye.  Voila!  He's been wearing them to school, baseball practices, etc., and says he likes them better than his glasses.  I don't want to be the kind of mom that says, I told you so, but.....  I DID!  I so did! 

I'll continue to put his contacts in for a while, but I'm sure that soon he'll want to start doing it himself.  After all, he needs to learn to do it himself to get those Oakley sunglasses, and I noticed him eyeing those sunglasses again at the doctor's office the other day. 

--- 2 ---
Last Friday afternoon I had a luncheon meeting at my corporate office.  They brought in boxed lunches, and take a look at what I found in my box:

Thank goodness, they labeled this!  I would have had no idea.  LOL!

Then Monday we had a "team building" afternoon for my department.  We all went to the movies and out for dinner and drinks after.  The movie we chose to see was Identity Thief.  It has quite a bit of bad language, but it was a very funny movie.  Melissa McCarthy was hilarious, and Jason Bateman was great as the straight man for her comic genius.

 
--- 3 ---
Oh, remember me mentioning curlformers?  Well, I purchased some.  I think I even mentioned that I used them, I can't recall.  So, I thought I might show a Before and After in case anyone is interested.  I wanted curl, and I got it.  I had ringlets!  I slept in the curlformers, and it was much like sleeping in those old foam rollers.  If any of you remember those, then you know I'm using the word "sleep" loosely.  Anway, the curl lasted until I washed my hair the next day, and my hair usually will not hold curl.

Left:  An awesome (blurry) picture of my stick-straight hair.  Right:  Again, another blurry picture.  Sorry.  The picture on the right was taken immediately after taking the curlformers out of my hair.  I had not even tried to style it at this point.  So, if you're interested in spiral curls, this product worked well in my hard-to-curl hair.


--- 4 ---
I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day.  We don't really do much for Valentine's Day around our house.  I cooked chicken spaghetti, one of my boys' favorites.  I got each of my boys a box of their favorite candy only to learn that my oldest has decided to give up candy for Lent.  Bummer...  Sorry, buddy, but I'm proud of you for giving up something I know will be a challenge for you.  I know it seems like a fuss at you a great deal, but I really am proud of the amazing young man you are becoming.

Sorry about the squinty-eyed picture, but this is one of the best ones I could find on my phone (my good camera battery is dead at the moment).  Handsome, though, right?

--- 5 ---
Today is day 3 of 40 Bags in 40 Days, and it's going well so far.  In looking at some of the stuff over the past few days, I'm wondering why it was kept it in the first place.  I also learned that apparently I buy those big birthday number candles and NEVER use them.

I'm ashamed to post this picture, but this is a small cabinet that sits just inside our front door.  OUR FRONT DOOR!!  This is what people see as soon as they walk into our home.  I know, I KNOW!  But, Ben doesn't get it.  This is all his crap stuff.  He walks in the door and empties his pants pockets right here.  It's basically his catchall place or rather one of them.  As you can see, there are 4 small drawers, and they are the first things I cleaned out for my 1st bag.  I'm hoping he'll start putting all of this errr stuff in those drawers.  Better yet!  Do something else with it!  I have no idea how to stop him from dumping here unless I completely remove the cabinet, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.  Oh, since I've shown you this embarrassing picture, let me just tell you that every horizontal surface in our home would look like this if I didn't constantly clean.   It's exhausting! 

Trust me, Ben is not the only clutter culprit.  But since this is one of my biggest pet peeves, I'm picking on him today.  Sorry, honey.


--- 6 ---
Since my post is already quite photo-heavy today, I'm going to stick this picture in too because it just makes me smile.   Apparently even dogs are into photo-bombing!


--- 7 ---
I recently found out that Gabe's team, the AR Easton Elite, were bumped in class.  That means we are now 9 Major, baby!!   As in professional baseball, Major is the top level.  Unfortunately, we've already heard that teams are dropping out of tournaments because we're playing in them.  Really??  Again?  I really think that's unfair not only to us, but to those teams as well.  How do those coaches and parents expect their boys to improve if they don't challenge them?  Our boys are as good as they are because they are constantly challenged.  This same thing happened last year - we couldn't play teams in our own age division because a large majority of those teams whined said they would drop out of tournaments if they had to play us.  So, if our boys wanted to play baseball, they were forced to play up in the older divisions.  Guess what?  We're even better because of it.  You were scared to play us before?  LOL!  Get ready....


Elite baseball starts this weekend!!  Let's go boys!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!