Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---
I'm not sure I have 7 Quick Takes today, we'll see.....
--- 2 ---
Saturday I was busy, busy, busy.... cleaning, making a new batch of laundry detergent and trying out a recipe for a homemade bleach gel that a blogger friend posted.  With her permission, I hope to share that with you some time next week.  So, stay tuned....
--- 3 ---
I finally managed to get rid of those pesky 2 pounds that I've been losing over and over again in my Blogger Biggest Loser challenge.  I'm really not sure how it happened especially since I ate Mexican food the night before I weighed.  But, yay!!  It's depressing to know that according to the doctor's scale, I'm still 4 pounds heavier than I thought.  UGH!!  Apparently, my Biggest Loser brand scale isn't that accurate after all.  I need to see if there is a way to calibrate it. 

Oh, speaking about losing weight, why is it that when I diet, my shoes and my bras are the first things that start fitting more loosely?  Really?  That's just not fair.

--- 4 ---
I don't know if you remember, but we had a huge snow storm that hit Christmas night.  We lost power at our home, and we were without power for several days.  Monday we had a thunder storm, and we lost power Monday evening as soon as we got home.  Immediately my boys wanted to know if they needed to bring in fire wood and bring their bedding into the living room OR would they need to pack bags so we could go stay with family.  I kept trying to assure them that this was nothing like the Christmas snow storm, and that power should be restored fairly soon, but they remained really skeptical until power came back on about 30 minutes later.

Winters here are... well, honestly bi-polar describes our winters pretty accurately.  One day the temperature will be almost 70, and the next day we may have sleet and freezing rain.  But, that's a normal winter for us. (It's no wonder that we're sick off and on all winter.)  Because of the swinging temperatures and the fact that forecasters rarely get the winter weather forecasts right, panic tends to set in around here if winter weather is mentioned.  Seriously, there's a mad dash for bread and milk.  Some even stock up like they're doomsday preppers.  It's insane.  I wonder if folks up North do that as well.  Surely not.
--- 5 ---
I love my boys, I really do!  However, I'm really tired of having an almost-10 year old get in my bed every single night - Mama needs some sleep!!  Have any of you had this problem?  If so, how did you finally put an end to it? We have threatened to start locking our door at night, but that really seems heartless.  Besides, what if one of the boys really does need us for something??  I've thought about changing his bed to see if that would help.  He's got a day bed which is difficult to make, so he/we rarely makes it.  Therefore, his blankets often end up in the floor in the middle of the night.  Maybe if I change him to a regular twin bed....?  My oldest has bunk beds, and I'm sure you all know bunk beds are pain to make as well.  So... I've thought about taking Garrett's bunk beds apart and giving Gabe one of those beds.  I'm certainly open to suggestions.
--- 6 ---
Gabe's school is having a shoe drive to benefit the Shoeman Water Project.  If you're unfamiliar with this project, it's where shoes are collected, exported and sold to local street vendors in places such as Kenya, Haiti and South American.  Those shoes can then be purchased by locals for cents on the dollar.  Funds generated from exporting those shoes are used to provide well drilling rigs, water purification systems, repairs for hand pumps and health and hygiene training.  What a great project for our youngsters!  I know Gabe is really excited about this drive, and has spoken repeatedly about what our donations will provide.  However, I often wonder if he really understands what he's doing or if he's just doing it for the prize.  I think with this drive, he may actually get it because I haven't heard any mention of a prize for meeting their goal. 

This drive actually comes at a really good time for me, as I'm doing a 40 bags in 40 days Lenten challenge.  Last night, I started pulling shoes out of the closet. 
Eh hmmm.....   Apparently, someone has a slight shoe problem.  This is actually a picture of what I'm keeping, for now at least.  I did manage to select about 20 pairs of shoes to donate to the school drive, and a few others that I plan to list on eBay.  Even Ben managed to kick in a few pairs of his shoes.  So, I consider it a win/win - Gabe is contributing to the Shoeman Water Project to help provide shoes and clean water to people in Kenya, and I got rid of a few more bags for my Lenten challenge.  
--- 7 ---
TGIF!!  I hope you all have a safe and blessed weekend!   

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!