Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday


--- 1 ---
I've already mentioned that my son's team played ball in freezing temperatures this past weekend.  Well, it's still cold here, and I'm so tired of it!  I know you northerners probably don't understand and have no sympathy, especially with the snow the northeast is getting now.  However, for a southerner, we're not used to the cold, and most of us don't like it!  I'm ready to start griping about how hot it is!!
--- 2 ---
I can't seem to remember to take my allergy shots regularly.  I did great for two months, then I got sick and had to take antibiotics, and I don't think I've taken the shots regularly since then.  I'm basically allergic to the outdoors, and my allergies are really starting to kick my behind right now.  I feel horrible, and I WANT TO SLEEP!!  Among other things, I'm allergic to oak trees, and well.... have you ever been to Arkansas?  We have a bazillion oak trees here with a few other kinds of trees scattered around.  Yes, I counted!  I noticed this morning that the oak trees have buds on them.  Soon everything will be covered with a layer of yellow pollen, and we'll be forced to sweep up what I call the oak tree worms.  I really prefer the warmer temperatures, I just wish it didn't come with all of the allergy issues.

--- 3 ---
Since my allergies have gotten me down, my house is a wreck, well even more so than normal.  We came home from Fayetteville and basically dumped our bags and all of the winter clothing in the living room floor.  I have emptied the bags and washed most of the dirty clothes, but no one has put their clean clothes away yet.  So, destroyed.... yup, that describes my home, and I'm feeling just too crappy to deal with it right now.  I saw one of those memes everyone posts on Facebook that describes what I'm thinking perfectly.

--- 4 ---
My 40 bags in 40 days Lenten challenge has been a struggle.  Not that I don't have well over 40 bags that I can clear out, it's finding the time to sort through and prepare the bags.  I'm sure at the end of Lent I will have 40 bags, it's just that they may all be assembled on days 38 and 39.  For others who have participated in this challenge or are doing it now, how are you managing? 
--- 5 ---
Over the past few days, there has been a radiothon for the Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH).  Unfortunately, most of the day I tune it out otherwise I'd spend the entire day in tears.  The stories from the families who have used this phenomenal facility provide a roller coaster of emotions from heartbreak to joy and back again.  I've used the facility a time or two mainly for the after hours pediatric clinic, and I'm so very thankful that we have not needed ACH for something more serious.  However, we as Arkansans, are truly blessed to have such an amazing facility so close.  If you're able, please donate now.



--- 6 ---
See a penny pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck.  We've all heard that rhyme before.  The other day my father in law posted a sweet story about picking up pennies that you find on the ground because they are sent from a loved one in Heaven so that we know they are with us.  So, lately anytime I see a penny, I've picked it up and blown a quick kiss and thank you to my Papaw.

Another family member sent me another take on the whole penny thing.  In the story she sent me a wealthy man sees a penny on the sidewalk amongst the trash and cigarette butts.  He stoops to pick it up and smiles before placing it in his pockets.  He was observed picking up the penny, and thinking it odd that a wealthy man seemed so pleased to find a penny on the ground they questioned him about it.  His reply was:  "The coin says, 'In God We Trust,' and if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin.  Whenever I find a coin, I see that inscription.  It is written on every single United States coin, but we never seem to notice it!  God drops a message right in front me telling to trust Him.  Whom am I to pass it by?  When I see a coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment.  I pick the coin up as a response to God; that I do trust in Him.  For a short time, at least, I cherish it as if it were gold.  I think it is God's way of starting a conversation with me.  Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!"

I'm a worrier.  I often worry about things I can't control.  I even worry when I don't have anything to worry about.  Now when I see a penny, it serves as a gentle reminder to just let it go and trust in God.  I pick it up and think: yes, God, I got the message.  Like the story says, "Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful!" 

Oh, and I also still blow a quick kiss to my Papaw.
--- 7 ---

Whew, made it through another week!  TGIF!! 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!