Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Random Things

I thought I'd share a few random things I've learned over the past few days.

I learned something new when I took the boys to get their teeth cleaned this morning....  if you are a mouth breather, more likely than not, you have bad breath.  In addition, mouth breathers are more prone to plaque built up.  Apparently, when you breathe through your mouth, you suck in all kinds of nastiness.  The answer?
A tongue scraper.  Sounds nasty, right?  I'm fairly certain it is since the hygienist told my son "when you scrape you'll see this yellow stuff that looks like butter, but don't eat it!!"  Blech!  I think I may have gagged, but the expressions on my boys' faces were a mixture of horror and excitement!

I also learned that Danko clogs are actually fairly comfy, at least in the brief time that I had them on, they were.  I'm sure I've mentioned at least a dozen times, I have issues with my feet.  This morning I noticed the dental hygienist was wearing a pair of Dansko Professional Clogs that I've heard so many good things about.  So, I questioned her.  As seems to be the consensus so far, she loves hers and wears them every day.  As luck would have it, she and I wear the same size, and she told me to try hers.  (I know I have some readers that are cringing right now, sorry....)  They were surprisingly comfortable for a clog.  I've always avoided clogs because I have such a high arch, they always killed the top of my foot.  These didn't.  Today, I actually won the bid on a pair I've been stalking lately.  So, I should have my own pair soon. 

Something else I learned in researching these clogs.... If you have worn the Dansko clogs for decades but are now experiencing inconsistencies with fit and/or sizing, try Sanita clogs.  Sanita actually made the clogs for Dansko but the companies eventually parted ways.  Sanita continues to make their clogs in Europe; however, Dansko moved their production to China; thus, the inconsistencies that some may be experiencing.

Sanita Professional Red Patent Leather Clogs

Provided the basic black oil rubbed pair of Danskos I ordered today are as comfy as folks claim, these lovelies may be my next purchase.  Or maybe turquoise, fuchsia or tortoise shell!!  There are so many colors and patterns to choose from, oh my goodness....  I can't wait to see how comfy they are when wearing them all day.  Tennis shoes don't really look very good with dress pants. 
I learned that my youngest son is really brave.  He volunteered to participate in a study at AR Children's Hospital.  It's a brain function study for children in the 95th percentile and higher.  This study required an MRI, and Gabe was so brave.  The doctor put some head phone and Gabe then tried to move a bird-cage looking thing around Gabe's head.  I wasn't quite sure the thing would fit around his big old noggin' but it did.  He was lying there there perfectly still for about 45 minutes with this bird-cage looking thing just an inch or so from his face and the MRI machine clanking, whirring and ringing really loudly.  I was in the MRI room with him, and I think I was more nervous than he was.  Bless his heart. I'm sure the doctor wondered what the heck I was doing when I took my shoes off and started doing my stretches for my Achilles tendonitis.  I might as well make good use of the time.

I learned that we probably need to take our boys to confession more often.  As is customary in the reconciliation process, following your confession the priest will tell you your penance and will ask you to say your Act of Contrition.  You'll then receive your absolution and blessing (or not) and exit the confessional to complete your penance.  I had just settled in on the kneeler to say my prayers, when my youngest who entered the confessional after me came out and knelt down next to me.  He didn't seem to take much time, but I didn't think much of it and returned my focus to my prayers.  

My husband, who was next into the confessional, was greeted by a flabbergasted priest who said, "the one before you didn't finish."  I'm assuming that the priest said something to Gabe similar to what he said to me, "now if you want to say your Act of Contrition, there's a card on the table to help you."  Instead of saying the Act of Contrition with the priest and receiving his blessing, my son apparently said "thank you," grabbed the card and walked out to go do his penance.

We talked to Gabe about what he was supposed to do, and now that he knows he made a mistake, he's a little embarrassed.  But, we assured him it's okay.  Although he didn't get his absolution and blessing, God knows what is in his heart. I see more frequent visits to the confessional in our future.

Holy Week is less than a week away, and it often brings to mind The Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  We've seen this numerous times, and I can't recommend it highly enough.  My sons sit on the edge of their seats in awe, and I think it helped them to better understand what transpired during Holy Week. 

I learned, while searching for a video to post, that The Great Passion Play is in financial distress and in danger of closing.  I've since heard they have received enough donations to continue with the 2013 season; however, I hate to think about the possibility of this play closing its doors for good.  If you get the chance, go see this play (and/or make a donation), you won't be sorry.



Until tomorrow......