Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday







--- 1 ---
I'm so glad this week is coming to a close.
--- 2 ---
Benchmark exams were this week.  Should I be concerned that both of my boys have commented on how easy their benchmarks were?  Typically when I make a comment like that, I jinx myself.  Does that happen to anyone else?  No?  Just me?  Figures....


--- 3 ---
Do you know how hard it is to keep a 9 year old boy from running and jumping?  Almost impossible.  As I mentioned here, Gabe has injured both of his ankles and pulled a muscle in his thigh.  He has been told no running, jumping, etc., for one week.  Of course, little man thinks he can do whatever he wants regardless of whether it hurts.  I've been trying to explain to him that we have to think about the long-term picture, but that's not so easy for a 9 year old.  I get that.  So, it's been a difficult week....  I've actually considered tying him down.  No, not really.  Well, maybe....

I can tell when his ankle hurts because he'll come home from school and will ask to soak his foot in epsom salts like his Dr. suggested.  This kid is as tough as nails, and that really concerns me.  I was just like him when I was younger.  I know what it's like to play through the pain.  Shoot, I think any of us who were athletes knows.  I had several injuries when I was younger that haunt me now.  But tempted though I might be, I can't tie him down or bubble wrap him. 

That reminds me, I picked him up Monday evening, and asked him how his day had been.  I had contacted his after school program, so I knew he didn't do any running or jumping there, but I hadn't called his school teacher.  So, the following conversation took place:

Me:  "Did you go outside for recess?"
Gabe:  "Yeeeees."
Me:  "Did you play basketball?"
Gabe:  "Sorta."
Me:  "Did you run?"
Gabe:  "Nope."
Me:  "Did you jump?"
Gabe:  "Ummmm, sooortaaa."
Me:  "Why did you do that?  You know you could hurt your ankles worse, right?"
Gabe:  "Well, I'm a sporty kinda guy.  What am I supposed to do??"
Me:  **snort**  "Does your ankle hurt now?"
Gabe:  "Yes."
Me:  "UGH!"  **shaking my head in frustration**

--- 4 ---
I'm really over American Idol.  Seriously, I haven't cared much about it since Simon and Paula left.  Every once in a while, I would watch some of the audition shows, but that's about it.  Pffft!  Let's face it, the audition shows are the best ones anyway, am I right?  Well, the other night I was on the couch folding some laundry and Ben turned on Idol, and oh my goodness.....  If you didn't see Candace Glover's final performance of the night, you MUST watch this.  This young lady was ah-maze-ing!!   Trust me - WATCH THIS!!

--- 5 ---
Ebates... Have you heard of it?  Have any of you used this?  If so, I'd love to hear your testimonials.  I have signed up, but I haven't used it yet.  From what I understand, I'd be crazy not to use it.  So, if you have used it, please - do tell!



--- 6 ---
Again, I'd like to ask that you keep some special people in your prayers:  The Fulwiler family, of course, but also the same family I mentioned last week.  Thank you!

--- 7 ---
Also, thanks to Grace at Camp Patton, who is hosting Quick Takes today in Jennifer's absence.

For more Quick Takes, visit Camp Patton.