Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

How to Clean Your Drip Pans

While reading through one of my favorite blog link parties, I came across this post from Talitha at Love, Pomegranate House that gave a tip on cleaning your stove top drip pans.  Since I've tried just about everything but sand blasting, I was skeptical.  So, naturally, I had to test her tip.


It's simple:  Ammonia.  That's it.

Now, ya'll, I'm embarrassed to show these drip pans.  I cook.  ALOT.  So, does my 12 year old son who never cleans up anything.  So, yeah, these drip pans are disgusting.  Actually, this one is the worst one.  Perfect for testing, huh?


Put the drip pan inside a large ziplock, and pour in a splash of ammonia.  Seal the bag and allow it to sit overnight.  You'll notice that after a while the bag will start to fog up some.  Apparently, it's actually the fumes that loosen up the baked-on nastiness.

This is the bag the following morning.  Look at all that yuckiness in the bag already.  Still, something this simple couldn't get the drip pan as clean as claimed, could it?

I simply wiped this pan off and rinsed - no scrubbing whatsoever.  So, what do you think?  You can actually see the scratches where I tried to scrape gunk off in a past cleaning attempt.  I tell you, I've tried everything:  Oven cleaner, grease remover, chisel (don't laugh), etc.  I would have replaced the darned things long ago if my local home improvement store carried a size that matched.  Who knew getting them this clean was so simple??
Surely I'm not the last person on the planet to learn about this, am I?  So, I just had to share this with you all.  If you get a chance, pop over to Love, Pomegranate House, and check out her blog.  Thanks for the awesome tip, Talitha!

I'm linking up with: