Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What the Heck Wednesday

It seems that I say this every week, but this past week really has been a crazy one.   You may (or may not) have heard the news story about a sweet 12-year old girl here in Arkansas who contracted parasitic meningitis or primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).  Her name is Kali Hardig, and you can see her story here.

Just a day or so before being admitted to AR Children's Hospital, Kali had been swimming, although exactly where she had been no one was saying.   Friday, July 26th, the name of the park and its immediate closure following testing by the AR Health Dept. was announced. 
 
WHAT?!!?   My oldest son had been swimming at that same park on Thursday, just the day before it was closed.  I was freaking out.  I suppose you understand now why I didn't post a Quick Takes on Friday. I spent most of the day worried sick and trying to contact various authorities to determine what we needed to do.
 
Although this parasite is quiet common in warm, shallow bodies of freshwater, chances of being infected by this parasite are slim. My rational mind knows this, but.....
 
As of this writing, Tuesday, we are on Day 5 and my son shows no sign of illness, praise the Lord! However, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), we are not in the clear until after 7 days.  So, we continue to wait....... and watch........ and pray.  
 
Prayers for young Kali, my son and everyone affected by this would be greatly appreciated.
 
Thank you, and I hope you all have a blessed day.