Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday



Surprise, surprise. I'm having issues with my post again. I feel sure it's a computer issue, but... So, we'll just muddle through. I have no idea what formatting, if any, will survive when I hit "publish."  I apologize if it's all jacked up. 

--- 2 ---

TGIF! Am I right? Not only is it Friday, but it's the beginning of a long weekend. Woo hoo!! I don't know about you all, but I need a break!  

The Elite are playing in their first tournament of the fall season this weekend.  Yay!  We love spending time with our Elite family.
   

--- 3 ---


My oldest son's 13th birthday is this weekend.  I can't believe how big he's getting, and how mature he's becoming. I had to buy the kid a size 11 shoe the other day. Of course, those shoes are just a tad too big, but still.... an 11!! We also measured him for some new jeans, and my hubby just looked at him in disbelief and said, "I didn't wear that size until I was......" Garrett already wears the same size shoe as his dad, and I feel fairly certain he'll be taller than Ben as well.   He's grown like a weed this summer, and he's now just a hair taller than me.  (For any of you non-Southerners, that means there's only a microscopic difference.) Each and every time he stands next to me, he gets up on his tip toes and looks down on me. He just can't resist it.   Of course, I have to remind him whose boss, and I fake a five-finger death punch to the throat.

I know I don't post pictures of him often.  I do have some pictures of him, I promise, fairly recent ones too.  But most the time, he shies away from the camera or makes a goofy face.  This picture is one of my favorites of him when he was just a little guy.  He was probably 4 or 5 here.  It seems like yesterday.

Happy Birthday, Garrett!  We love you, buddy!!  Now, go empty the dishwasher. LOL!  No, seriously!  Go.

--- 4 ---

This is sooooo not me.  I wish.
I think I've mentioned that I visited the dermatologist and had a few places on my frozen.  Those spots were basically scaly patches of skin that just wouldn't go away.  He diagnosed them as actinic keratosis (AK), in other words a form sun damage.  Recently, at a follow up visit, I had him take a peek at a bump that developed on my upper chest.  He removed it and had it biopsied.  

I learned yesterday that the biopsy results revealed that spot was basal cell carcinoma - skin cancer.  I understand this form is skin cancer is fairly common, is easily treated and doesn't travel like other cancers can.  He believes he got it all, and urged me to be diligent about sun protection and doing regular inspections of my skin.  Being a fair-skinned blond, who worshipped the sun most of her teen years, the doc and I may have our work cut out for us.  But I go back in 4 months for another follow up, and we'll go from there. 

So, part of my prep for this tournament this weekend was to find a hat that will provide more protection than a baseball cap, but doesn't look totally ridiculous. The one thing my youngest said, was "puhleeeeeze no big floppy thing." I'm not sure I was successful in my search for something flattering, but I guess at this point, it is what it is.  

--- 5 ---

Note to self:  Don't leave anything at your grandmother's house unless you want her to sell it for a fraction of its worth. 

I recently had a garage sell at my grandmother's house because her home is in a much better location than mine for such a sale.  My usual practice is to take everything that didn't sell straight to Goodwill.  However, there were a few items that didn't sell for what I wanted, and I kept those items and left them in my grandmother's garage until I could get back over there and pick them up.  

Lesson learned.
 
--- 6 ---
 
I hope you all have a very happy and safe holiday weekend.

--- 7 ---

Your text here. For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.