Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What the Heck Wednesday

Today is mine and my husband's 14th wedding anniversary, so in light of that, I decided to talk about some anniversary gift ideas. Ben and I aren't exchanging gifts, at least not to my knowledge. Actually today is just like any other with work, baseball practice, etc. We'll exchange cards, I'm sure, but other than that, meh..... Romantic, huh? Yeah. Well, that's just how it goes sometimes. We may try to go out for dinner alone this weekend, but Gabe is playing ball, so that probably won't happen either. Oh well.... it is what it is.

 
When celebrating your anniversary, you are celebrating your relationship and your love for each other.   Don't give a gift which is, in reality, just for you. Guys, I think you know what I'm talking about here. How often does your significant other actually sleep in skimpy lingerie? If she's like most ladies I know, the usual bedtime wear is a sleep shirt or even a t-shirt and shorts. We all know that skimpy stuff is for you. So, unless you intend to give her a nice big piece of jewelry along with that lingerie, JUST DON'T. Instead, how about a nice night away somewhere for just the two of you?  More expensive, yes I know, but again, it's NOT ALL ABOUT YOU.
 
That being said, ladies don't you dare give him a weed eater as an anniversary present.
 
 
Nothing says romance like a gift card.  Even if you know she loves that particular store, a gift card is just too impersonal.  Invest some time and thought into a gift she will appreciate.  If you insist on giving a gift card, give a gift certificate for a couple massage - something you can both enjoy.
 
Perfumes are always a nice choice for an anniversary gift.  Be warned, you better make sure the fragrance you choose is one that she likes and not one a previous love prefers.  Hint:  Check her dressing table for fragrances she already owns and which bottles may be getting low. 
Even if your love has asked for a piece of exercise equipment, your wedding anniversary or any gift-giving occasion is really not the right time to gift this particular item.  A treadmill is something you purchase together.  On a Sunday.  It should never, EVER be given as a gift unless you want to burn a whole heck of a lot of calories trying to defend yourself.  Again, you've been warned.
Uh oh.... You forgot this special day, and now you're in a panic.  Whatever you do, don't buy anything at a gas station or convenience store.  You'd be better off to stop at a supermarket and buy a card and some fresh flowers, maybe a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine as well.  Don't ever stop at a gas station or convenience store and buy her a gift there out of desperation. 
 
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the box of hair color I received for Christmas one year.  It was black hair color.  I'm blond.  Granted the gift wasn't from my husband, but it sure screamed, I don't give a hoot about you, here you go!  I joke about it, but it was the worst gift I have ever received, and NO, it wasn't a gag gift.  A family member just went to a certain drug store and bought a plethora of random crap, wrapped the stuff and passed it out with no regard as to who got what.  Well, not that who got what would even matter really.  All the gifts were equally thoughtless.  Anyway......  Again, just go get flowers.  Bonus points if you know and purchase her favorite flowers.
 
At this time in our lives, when we're deep in the trenches of parenthood, time is one of the most precious commodities we have.  I think this sums it up pretty well.
 
Happy 14th anniversary, Benjamin!  I love you!