Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday - Dirty Socks & Spiders


I'm so thankful it's Friday.  Nothing out of the ordinary happened this week, it was just a busy one as usual.
Have any of you started your Christmas shopping?  I've only bought one gift at this point.  I'm going to be in a mad-dash over the next few weeks.  I can't believe Christmas is so close already.  Where has this year gone?

I haven't done much with my little netbook, but a vendor suggested I change the operating system from Windows Starter 7 to Ubuntu.  Let me just say, that I am so glad I did.  I'll be the first to admit that I am so computer illiterate, but I really like Ubuntu so far.   Of course, I'm still learning, but it seems really easy to navigate.  Anyone, more tech savvy than me, familiar with this operating system?

I really like that it comes with Libre office software that's compatible with the Microsoft Office products.  I also like that it basically has plug and play which Windows 7 Starter didn't have.  When Windows 7 was the operating system, I tried to print on our printer at home.  It asked me to install the drivers.  This netbook doesn't have a CD reader, so I couldn't do that, and I tried to find the drivers online.....  No luck in the limited time I had at that time. With this OS, you just plug in the hardware, and Ubuntu asks you what you want to do?  It will automatically find what it needs to operate the hardware.  Yay!!  
 
Now if I could just get it to set up an awesome blog site for me or teach me how to do it myself......  LOL!
One of my favorite radio stations was recently talking about holiday movies and which ones were the best.  What are your holiday favorities?  It's a Wonderful Life has to be one of my top-rated.  Of course, there's A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, etc.  All great movies.  But there's a Thanksgiving movie that people often fail to mention - Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  I love that movie.  If you haven't seen it, I high reccommend it.  It stars Steve Martin & John Candy as two unfortunate travelers just trying to get home for Thanksgiving.   I can actually quote this movie, I've seen it so many times.  Sadly I only have it on VHS and no longer even have a VHS player.  I'm going to have to find this on CD or download it on iTunes.  There are some bad words, especialy one scene where the "F" word is repeated over and over in a fit of frustration.  So be warned.   For the most part it's a clean movie with a good message.  Watch it yourself before you allow your children to watch it, and you decide.
 

I can't remember if we're in the 2nd or 3rd week of basketball practice, but it seems to be going well.  Both boys enjoy it.  This is my youngest son's third year to play, but my oldest has never played before, and he really enjoys it.  He's actually pretty darned good.  I wish he had tried out for the middle school team, but he didn't.  Oh, well.....  At least he's having fun.

OMG!!  I just reached for my cell phone charger, and look what I found.  Aaaaah!!!
Since it's November and everyone seems to be posting things for which they arethankful, I'm going to share something here. Facebook friends, you might want to move along, you've heard this story. But I'm proud, so I'm going to share it here.
As parents, we often question whether our children actually get what we're trying to teach them.  When I pick up the one trillionth dirty sock that Gabe has left on the floor or pull the shower curtain closed after Garrett's shower for.... I forget how many times now, I often wonder are they ever going to learn??  

A few days ago Gabe and I were in the checkout line in Wal*Mart behind a grandmother in a scooter and her preschool-aged grandson.  The grandma finished her transaction and drove off in the scooter toward the exit.  As I'm checking out and chatting with the cashier, Gabe takes off running.  I look up to see him pick up something and chase after the grandma.  Apparently, she had dropped a wad of money and was not aware, but Gabe saw it.  I saw too - I saw that our messages are getting through.  I'm sure that learning to pick up the dirty clothes and pull the shower curtain closed will come some day too, but for now we know that the big stuff, what really matters is there.  They get it!  
I hope now that when I pick up sock number one trillion and one, I'll remember that in the grand scheme of things, what's a sock?
 
I'm thankful the Lord chose to bless me with these two amazing boys.  They constantly fight like cats and dogs,they drive me crazy most days, but I couldn't imagine my life without them.  They are both so smart and creative, and I'm sure some time in the not-so-distant future they'll team up to outsmart us.  They are so sweet and thoughtful and they have hearts as big as all outdoors. I'm truly blessed and honored to be their mom.
 
 
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!