Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What the Heck Wednesday

I think I mentioned last week that I'm really having difficulty finding the "Holiday Spirit" this year.  I'm really not feeling it.  I don't know why.  Even EJ, our Elf on a Shelf, is lacking in motivation. He finally showed up this past weekend, and he's only moved twice since then.


I mentioned last week we were expecting bad weather.  Well, it came.  It was bad.  But it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Really, we dodged a bullet, so to speak.  We were expecting freezing rain, but thank goodness most of what we got was sleet. Since sleet is already frozen, it doesn't stick to the trees and power lines.  So, there were very few power outages in our area.

However, we live in a valley, and when we have winter weather, it's often a challenge to get up and down our driveway as well as the neighborhood.  Our house sits up on a hill, so our driveway is pretty steep, and we have deep ditches on both sides of the drive.

This picture is a little deceiving.  It doesn't look very steep, but it's pretty darned steep. See where it looks as if the driveway meets the main road?  Nope, there's an even more steep (steeper?) slope there.  That's also where the yard ends, and there's about a 5 foot drop down into the ditches on either side of our drive.

Thankfully my office decided to close on Friday and had delayed reporting on Monday, so it's all good.  So far.

I had to laugh at our dogs.  Travis, the miniature dachshund knew he didn't want any part of what was going on outside.  Bitsy, the chi-weenie?  Well, she's a little odd.  She's the dog that will go outside to potty even if it's raining.  She put her front paws down on the ground from that first step and immediately jumped back up and came inside.  The next time she asked to go out, she actually did go out onto the back patio, but she started sliding.  She didn't like the sliding at all, so she came right back inside and promptly went to Gabe's room and pooped.  Bless her heart.  Gabe wasn't thrilled, but I can't say I blame her.  It's cold outside!

Although school was still out on Monday, road conditions improved enough that I was able to go to work and so was Ben. Thankfully we have some amazing friends and family that can help out when needed. My mom watched my oldest son.  He decided he wanted to stay with Grammy so he enjoyed lots of movies like The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and he got lots of snuggles and kisses with Abby, their miniature dachshund. We have some sweet friends who offered to watch Gabe. They are both teachers, so they didn't have to go to work, and they also happen to be the parents of one of Gabe's best buddies. Thank you, Jamie and Reid!!

Sadly, Gabe wasn't feeling well Monday evening.  Bless his heart... Ben stayed home with him, but I think the little guy missed me. In fact, for some reason he felt the need to continually call me throughout the day to report on his bowel movements. Oh the joys of motherhood. Thankfully the doctor said Gabe just has a virus of some sort and it will just need to run its course. 

Tuesday, Garrett had his Winter band concert. They did really well, and he looked really sharp in his black and white concert outfit. Although he wouldn't let me take any pictures. And, yes, I KNOW.  "Boys don't wear outfits!" Whatever! I had to buy him all new clothes for the concert, he's outgrown almost everything he has. Pants that were too big in the Spring? Yep, too small now. Shoes? Well, I bought Garrett dress shoes for his last band concert, in the Spring. He wore those shoes once before he outgrew them. Those shoes are now 3 sizes too small. I didn't want the same thing to happen this time, and luckily his foot is currently the same size as Ben's, so he wore a pair of Ben's black dress shoes to his concert. SCORE!
 
I know Winter has just started, but I'm already sooooo over it. I do not like Winter. Never have. Never will. I'm a summer girl, and I am so ready for warm temps. Unfortunately, I'm afraid we may be in for a pretty rough Winter compared to what we normally experience. It's definitely starting earlier this year. What the heck?? Well, I'm still trying to get everything caught up from this past weekend, so I'm going to stop for now. Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!