Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday


Sorry I've been MIA.  It's been crazy around here.  


I received a call from my mother the morning of the 23rd.  She called to tell me she was the hospital with my grandmother.  Apparently my grandmother was letting her dog out to potty, and she stopped at the top of the back steps to bend over and put the dog's sweater on her.  When she bent over, she just kept going, flipped down the back steps, landing on her face with her arms pinned under her.  Thankfully she was able to use the handrail my stepdad had recently added to those back steps to pull herself up.  She went back inside and immediately called my mother because she felt sure her wrist was broken. 
 
She looked like she went a few rounds with Mike Tyson because her jaw is black, her face is cut up a little and the knuckles on her right had are cut up and swollen.  But luckily the worst of her injuries was that her left wrist was broken.  We are so thankful because it could have been so much worse.  It was a clean break, and the doctor said if she were younger, he would have done the surgery immediately.  I think her poor body had been through so much that day, she was probably in shock, and he wanted her body to have a chance to settle down.
 
She had surgery Christmas Eve morning and was released to go home that afternoon.  She's still not quite fully able to stay by herself.  But we're working things out.  Prayers for her healing would be greatly appreciated.
 

Can you believe the only picture I took Christmas morning was of the carnage in my living room after the boys opened their gifts?  It was cuh-rayzee!!  I feel like such a slacker mom.  


New Year's Eve?  Well, I tried to stay up until midnight.  I just couldn't.  I didn't sleep well the night before.....
 
I didn't really make any resolutions this year.  I usually do.  I never keep the resolutions, and I always feel like a failure.  So, I figure  why set myself up. 
 
What are your thoughts?  Resolutions or not?  If so, do you keep them?  Delia at Confessions of a Semi-Domesticated Mama has the right idea, I think.  She makes an annual to-do list.  She is a list maker, as am I.  I like to see things marked off my list.  Her 2013 list included things such as reading 100 books, cleaning & organizing  the entire house, etc.   I really think she's onto something with this New Year's to do list. 

 
One thing on my to-do list is to get back to using our modified cash envelope system.  We use something similar to the Dave Ramsey system.  We use cash for our largest variable expenditures.  Using cash helps us, ok FINE, ME stick to our budgeted amount for the month.  I got sidetracked from the system during the Holidays, and used my debit card quite often.  As a result, I ended up spending a little more on Christmas than I had budgeted.  The debit card is convenient for sure, but convenience is not always a good thing.  Let's face it, if you have to hand over the actual cash, you are more likely to make wiser decisions regarding your purchases.  It's just too easy to swipe a piece of plastic.  When I use cash, I stick to my shopping list and my budget. 
 
This past week, I budgeted $150 for groceries.  Here's a copy of my grocery receipt. 
 

So, how do you think I did?

Along those same money-saving lines, I plan to participate in the 52-Week Money Challenge that has been circulating on facebook.
 
Have any of you tried this before?  Seems easy enough, right? 
I've added something else to my New Years to do list, but that's a post for another time.  
 
I wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year! 
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!